Monday, December 14, 2009

Friendship is a Many Layered Thing


" Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends."

- Cindy Lew



My friend, Deborah, has the most infectious laugh I've ever known. Back in the eighties, we both worked in a small hospital in separate departments, but across the hall from one another. Quite often I would hear the lilting melody of Deb's hearty laughter as it wafted across the corridor and into my ears. This sound would always cause me to smile broadly, no matter what thoughts had been in my mind previously.

Deb is a successful business owner, an amazing designer and decorator, a talented artist, a lover of nature in general and, in particular, extremely bird crazy.

One of Deb's favourite things to do is to walk through a forest or sit down along the river and quietly observe and photograph the birds and other creatures in their natural habitat. She has also designed and created the most enchanting garden where in moments of relaxation she can enjoy a little birdwatching from the comfort of her own back yard.

One hot July day this past summer, Deb and I spent most of the afternoon sitting in our respective back yards, each nursing a cold beer and talking our hearts out over the phone. We were remembering, encouraging, laughing, and also describing to each other the various birds and butterflies that were soaring above us and around us as we visited. Even as engaged as we were in conversation, Deb would never fail to notice and appreciate a bird.

This brought to mind the times, years ago, when we had travelled together to Toronto along the hideously busy highway, the 401. Deb would always drive. She would be zipping along, chatting away, while enormous trucks thundered along on either side of us, behind us, and ahead of us. And then, as I sat stiffly with all of my muscles clenched tightly with fear, she would suddenly trill, "Oh, look over there! There's a grey crowned rosy finch!" or "Hey! A chestnut-collared longspur!" Invariably these spontaneous ornithological sightings would cause my already high anxiety level to ratchet up yet another notch.

But after we had arrived safely back home and I was feeling quite a bit more relaxed, Deb's enthusiasm became so contagious that I soon found myself on another road trip with her - this time on a mission to buy birds. I purchased a very pretty little peach-faced lovebird and a rather smallish cage, and Deb bought a couple of very tiny finches and a much larger cage. Well, although my new pet was called a "love bird", the wee finches were much more deserving of the title. It soon became very apparent that they had an insatiable desire to 'be fruitful and multiply.'

Before long, Deb was off to buy an even bigger cage, and then a bigger one still. But the flock of finches kept on proliferating. It came to the point where Deb had an enormous wooden cage constructed in her living room; floor to ceiling and the entire length of one wall.

Now, Deb is very social and enjoys entertaining. I can recall so clearly her New Year's Eve party that year. Her living room was full of nattily clad guests, drinks in hand, unable to focus on anything other than the astonishing 'Wall of Finches'. It was the master of all conversation pieces.

It was only when people realized there was a delicious array of party food spread out on the kitchen table that they allowed their stomachs to tear them away from the tiny birds.

I remember that the most popular dish was the "Mexican 7-Layer Dip" and everyone was enjoying it so much that the party could not possibly be moved back into the living room until every speck had been devoured.

So, now, as the holiday season quickly approaches, I will spend a good deal of time considering all of the many incredibly kind and loving people who have graced, and still grace my life.

And I believe I will whip up a "Mexican 7-Layer Dip", crack open a Corona, and raise a toast to my wonderful friend, Deborah.

(Merry Christmas, Deb!!)


This holiday season, treat your friends and family to a "Mexican 7-Layer Dip" and they will be very happy. The Canadian Living Test Kitchen says they first published a recipe for this dip way back in 1988 and they are STILL receiving requests for it. Say no more.

This week's recipe and photo are courtesy of "SimplyRecipes.com". Thank you!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/7_layer_bean_dip/



Cheers!

Diane






1 comment:

  1. Absolutely Superb! Being a Vegetarian, I find it rather difficult at parties not to be excluded from the `dip` category due to bacon, chicken stock, or other animal by products.
    This dip sounds delicious, festive and I can`t wait to try it! Ill bring the wine :)

    ReplyDelete